Bird Song Matcher
Help support The Virtual Birder by visiting our sponsors. Thanks!
This identification game presents random sets of bird photos and sounds
grouped by habitat.
For each habitat your goal will be to connect the bird sounds with their
Representative birds are included from the following Eastern North American habitats:
- Suburban Backyards
- Fresh Water Ponds and Marshes
- Salt Water Coasts and Marshes
- Fields and Prairies
- Deciduous Woods and Edges
- Northern Woods and Lakes
Each game randomly selects 5 birds from each habitat. There are roughly
10 birds available for each habitat so you will have to play the game multiple times
to see and hear all the available birds.
This game requires RealAudio Player 3.0!
Choose your skill level and then click on 'Start Matching!' to start
There are brief game directions below.
- A random set of bird sounds and photos will be presented for each habitat.
- You get points by correctly matching bird sounds with bird photos.
- You must match all the photos with their sounds before you can move on to the
- If you're one of the top scorers you can post your name and score.
Once you start the game:
- Click on a sound to play it, and then try to identify it.
- See if you can find a matching photo of the bird that makes the sound.
- If there is a matching photo, click on the red button
in the sound's row and the photo's column.
- If the sound and photo match, an arrow will be drawn between them.
If they don't match, a prompt will appear at the top of the page.
- Repeat the above for each sound on the habitat page.
- Repeat the above for each habitat.
- You can post your score when you've completed all the habitats or
by clicking on the 'Stop Sign' at anytime.