Help support The Virtual Birder by visiting our sponsors. Thanks!
Early Summer Birding in Down East Maine
Take a virtual trip to 5 different early summertime birding locations in Down East Maine.
The locations include:
- Machias Seal Island (pelagics and nesting alcids)
- Campobello Island (coastal species)
- Columbia Falls Blueberry Barrens (grassland species)
- Quoddy Head State Park (boreal and bog species)
- Great Wass Island (boreal, bog, and coastal species)
Take your own exploration path.
Find and identify the birds along the way
and compete for the top score.
Here's a gallery of high quality images of North American Alcids.
Down East Birding by Norman Famous
Norman has been birding Eastern Maine for 25 years and
has been doing point counts for the past 4 years.
In this article, Norman gives some background information on the region
and describes the breeding bird species and where you are likely to find them.
Information on summertime birding in Down East Maine, directions on how to get around,
and more on what you'll find if you go.
Sharpen up on Sharp-tailed Sparrows
- OK, it's not Down East Maine but Scarborough Marsh (just south of
Portland, Maine) is a quick stop on your way Down East. It offers
great opportunities to find and compare both Saltmarsh and
Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrows. This article gives some
background on IDing both species through images and sound
along with info on research that is being done with these species.
Media Shelf: Maine
- Descriptions of a few books on birding in Maine.
Links to purchase products through Amazon.com.
Hot Links: Maine
- A collection of the best of the web on birding in Maine.