Help support The Virtual Birder by visiting our sponsors. Thanks!
OnLocation(sm): South West Florida
(The Virtual Tour)
This tour will allow you to explore several birding destinations in South West Florida,
including "Ding" Darling NWR, Corkscrew Swamp Santuary, the Venice Rookery,
and Cape Coral. There are 78 bird sightings to identify, concentrating on the
long-legged waders you would be likely to see there during the winter and spring.
You'll find the following at the bottom of this page:
Acknowledgments and Brief Tour Directions.
The Virtual Birder would like to thank Shawn Carey
who provided all of the photos in this tour. This tour would not have been possible without
his photos and guidance. Be sure to visit The Gallery (Waders)
to see better quality copies of Shawn's outstanding slides. If you get the chance,
attend one of his muli-image slide shows or
photo workshops to experience the full impact of his photography.
Thanks also go to Simon Perkins of
for offering his identification expertise.
On this trip you can get points by correctly identifying the birds.
If you're one of the top scorers you can post your name. You can
also just explore and ask for the bird's names.
Once you start your trip:
- To Navigate from place to place
- Use the 'Street Signs' or click on the Map
- To Zoom in on a bird
- Make sure the 'Binoculars' radio button above the photo is selected
- Click on the bird you want to zoom in on
- To Guess a bird's name
- Select your guess from the pull-down menu above the photo
- Click on the bird in the photo to submit your guess
- To Change the Display Size and Load Time
Use the resize bar to the right of the views:
- Click the bottom segment of the bar for the smallest display and the fastest load
- Click the top segment of the bar for the largest display and the best photo quality
- To Post Your Score
Click the 'Stop' button when you are done.
There is a 'Help' button if you need more instructions.