Click on a State/Province Abbreviation for Regional Info
- One of the first and still one of the best birding sites on the Web. BIRDCHAT transcripts, mirror of Willem-Pier Vellinga's BirdLinks, and wide variety of pages on other birding topics.
- Denis Lepage's Bird Links to the World
- Well organized and extensive collection of birding links.
- Birding the Americas
- Trip report and trip planning repository for North and South AMerica.
- Interpretive Birding Online
- A site dedicated to deciphering the meaning of bird behaviour for personal enjoyment.
- Birding Pal
- Database of local birders willing to show other birders the local sights.
- Newsgroup for the discussion of wild birds and birding.
- The American Birders Exchange (ABE)
- A birding forum on AOL with an electronic newsletter (email) and two live chats on
bird watching each week. Use the keyword "BIRDING" on AOL to get to ABE.
- L.L. Bean's Park Search(tm)
- Database with "900 national parks and forests, state parks
and other great outdoor locales". Search by name, activity, or state. Each site has a brief description, contact info, and an activity table.
- Peterson Online
- Houghton Mifflin Interactive carries on the Peterson tradition with
a growing site featuring an excellent collection of links and resources,
tutorials for beginning birders, well done species accounts, and much more.
- Send On-Line suggestions to
- The Birder's Handbook: A Field Guide to the Natural History of North American Birds
- Authors: Paul R. Ehrlich, David S. Dobkin, Darryl Wheye
- Publisher: Fireside/Simon & Schuster
- ISBN: 0-671-62133-5
- Condensed biology of species including info on breeding, feeding, and other behavior.
Also includes informative essays on avian ecology, behavior, and evolution. Species accounts
and essays include bibliographic references to more in-depth publications.
- Birdfinder: A Birder's Guide to Planning North American Trips
- Author: Jerry A. Cooper
- Publisher: American Birding Association
- ISBN: 1-878788-10-8
- Contact: ABA Sales
- Phone: 800/634-7736
- Details 19 birding trips you can take in the U.S. and Canada. Gives itinerary, local bird finding guides, key species to look for, and estimated travel expenses.
- Where the Birds Are: A Guide to All 50 States and Canada
- Author: John Oliver Jones
- Publisher: William Morrow and Company, Inc.
- ISBN: 0-688-09609-3
- Gives info on refuges and other destinations for all 50 states and Canada. 210 of these have detailed bird lists with seasonal abundance. Also lists local birding groups and other local contacts.
- The Feather Quest
- Author: Pete Dunne
- Publisher: Penguin Books USA Inc.
- ISBN: 0-525-93392-1
- Pete's account of his and his wife Linda's travels to 19 North American destinations in 1989. Entertaining and easy read on birding and birders as well as birds and birding hotspots.
- Send Publication suggestions to